Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Eternal Beau

The wonderful thing about moving into a new place is that often people will buy you lovely things to fill it with! Now we have most of the flat sorted it was time to pay attention to detail. We realised we had most items but were short on plates. I am fussy with these things as I love antique plates, they look darling and make every meal time feel like you're at a resteraunt. However, beggers cannot be choosers!

I was VERY pleasently surprised when Simon's Mum's friend gave us her old plates. I opened the old news paper to find adorable antique octagon plates with dainty flowers and a pale yellow ribbon. Yes, they were eternal beau plates, side plates, bowls, a cup and saucers. I was so impressed with them! I instantly felt a sense of pride holding them and was happy to know we would have many many lovely meals together.

Not long after Simons Grandma had told us she had bought some lovely little glasses for our flat. To my joy and surprise they turned out to be eternal beau glasses! It seemed a strange coincidence, but instead I took it as faith because the very next day I visited a charity shop and they had the eternal beau tray!

I then discovered eternal beau was the gift of choice to give to newly weds in the 1980's. Now, we have been together for many years but are not newly weds yet. So if this is what you get for moving in together I can't wait to see what you get when you're married!

My collection kept growing! I ventured to a Sunday carboot with my Mum not expecting much maybe a nice antique plate here and there. Once again on a lady's stall I found an eternal beau clock! However her friend collected eternal beau so she knew how much it was worth so it was sold to me for £4. She then said 'Someone collects eternal beau! I'm surprised you don't already have the clock.' Ashamed that I indeed didn't have the clock already and feeling like I was a rubbish collecter I took my clock home. I then enthusiastically texted Simon and my friend Kerryanne about my find.

To drown my depression of being a rubbish collector I searched ebay. BIG mistake. I found myself bidding on everything eternal beau I could find! Including napkins and napkin rings. I have to admit though, I do love the collection. It's all so damn cute and dainty without being overly floral and in your face! I also like the unusual shape.

Do you collect anything too? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I collect 'Eternal Beau' looking to sell mine though as I am moving to a tiny house in Cornwall and just wont have the room. So sad as i love it all so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a shame Lorraine! I'd be sad to and I only have a few items! Moving to Cornwall though that sounds so exciting I love Cornwall!

    ReplyDelete